Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Because I'm strong as an O. A. K

 Hey reader!
 So as I promised in my previous blog, I would give you a full review on beautiful creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl (spoiler alert). Overall it was a decent book filled with Gothic southern settings and forbidden love. So basically the story is written through the perspective of a guy named Ethan Wate. He lives in this small southern town and like many of us is very eager to leave it. But it all changes when this weird mysterious new girl comes to his school. Unlike Bella from the twilight series nobody seems to like this girl because she apparently is the niece to the town's shut in Macon Ravenwood (sort of like the Boo Radley of that town). But Ethan being the bored yet inquisitive sort of guy kind of likes her not only because she's from out of town but also because she's been consecutively appearing in Ethan's nightmares ( I know, trippy right?). So the story begins with Ethan trying to court this chick (whose name is Lena Duchannes) and figuring out why she's all shy, awkward and moody. Eventually we find out Lena is actually a witch....oops!  I meant a caster and will probably be one of the most powerful casters in the world by her 16th birthday. The catch is she will either end up being claimed for the light (that means chosen to be a good caster that could save their entire caster race) or the dark (chosen to be an evil caster that could end up destroying us all). Its pretty sad because thanks to an ancestor that didn't think about the consequences to her actions, only the girls in Lena's family don't get to choose either they want to be good or bad. So it begins with Ethan and Lena trying to find loopholes to prevent her from going dark while at the same time trying to figure out how in some way they are related and drawn to each other.......
  I know it's slightly complicated but I still think it's decent. I really enjoy the setting for this novel since you don't really hear about a lot of fantasy stories set in the south. I also liked that the authors gave a lot of basic history and knowledge behind the whole caster world so it became easier for me to understand. This book is much more different compared to twilight (to those of you who are comparing) mainly because it's written in a dude's point of view and Lena isn't exactly the abnormally beautiful and broody type. She's just plain awkward and dresses funny like most of us. But I have to say Ethan is a little bit like Bella when it comes to the whole "I am so in love, what the hell I'm going to do when you're gone" thing. But hey, it is natural to feel those things when you're in love so I ain't gonna debate on that. People have been saying how they prefer the mortal instruments by Cassandra Clare more which increases my curiosity. Maybe that should be my next book series to read?
   Okay, so in other news my sister finally left for the states and she's all emotional and messed up over there. My mum said that she's been crying over everything from room disputes to missing supply lists. I don't know how her apartment buddy's doing but I bet probably much better than my sister........They both left last Sunday and all of us got all emotional when sending them to the airport. Compared to her buddy's family, ours is so much more emotional and sensitive to the point that it can get a little hysterical at times. I have a feeling my family is probably one of the most effusive families around. But the weird part was I didn't cry as much as I expected (being the cry baby that I am). I shed like one or two tears when hugging her and than I went back to being normal, my brother didn't even cry at all :/ I don't know what this means but I hope it's nothing serious and my sister will get herself together in time to start her classes.
  Other than that, I'm studying for my computer test (which I hope is this Saturday) and typing out my personal statement (who knew writing one is gonna be this hard?). I'm really pissed at this one teacher who hasn't updated me about my recommendation letter because his letter is probably very important in proving that I did some legit extracurricular activities at school!!! I really need to get everything done in time to send it out so I can at least be considered for that scholarship!!!! Oh god I'm so angry right now!!!! AAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! *flips table*

No comments: