Monday, June 23, 2014

Fury oh fury

With graduation passed, it has officially come to that time feared by many fickle and hypocritical young people....
That's right, University applications....

    To be quite honest with you, I should have been applying to universities way before I graduated (which I already have.....but only to one university......reply for that application is pending). My mum presented to me the idea of directly studying overseas instead of doing a twinning programme which I think is a great opportunity but then again, there's the whole financial issue. Furthermore, the fact that I have intentions to do psychology doesn't really help since there isn't a lucrative career coming out of it, especially here in Malaysia. I have a feeling that my dad wanted me to do audiology since there are a couple of national universities here that offer that major. There are two major problems with that;
1. I have a 12th grade qualification that is from a private institution.
2.  My 12th grade qualification is technically non-existent in the world of public universities
     -what do I mean?
     -    Public uni's do accept some form of international qualification (A-levels, AUSMAT etc.) but they have no idea that one is able to obtain an Ontario Secondary School Diploma here, hence they have no clue in what the programme actually consists of.

And out of my own personal reasons (*which I will not state here), I don't really want to go to a public university here................. It scares me a lot of the kind of money we put in for tertiary education. The sacrifices we have to make, the debts we have to pay (both financially and personally) while at the same time going into a future where there might not even be a job for us anymore. I keep telling myself that there are already too many people pursuing a major for the sake of a job and I should instead pursue the kind of university major in hopes that I would end up doing what I love instead. But there are too many holes in that logic and there would be a higher possibility of me regretting everything in the end because my qualifications would render me unemployable.... I'm attempting to be positive about my prospects but it's really difficult. My dad is constantly asking me what's my proper future plans once I finish my undergraduate and I said I would hope to continue with a masters but that plan is not exactly......full proof. Moreover, that plan requires more money! That really bugs me a lot and it also doesn't help that your father keeps bringing it up. It's definitely true and important that I come up with a full proof plan and there are those times where I would think it would be easier if I just throw my hands up to my dad and tell him I'm pursuing a medical degree, but based on my personal experiences in handling high pressure situations, I'll fail miserably in that aspect. To add, based on my parent's personal experiences, architecture isn't really a career to be happy about right now. I think if you (fellow phantom reader) have read my previous posts (from like, I don't know, 2 years ago???) my beloved parents (particularly my mum in this case) haven't been technically happy with where they are for a really long time. *Takes a deep breath* Okay, that's all I have to vent for now... I really hope that I would figure something out before it's too late. 
Please don't be discouraged by my post, I'm sure there's a plan out there for everyone.
Thanks for reading ;)
aida
P.S
To any of you who are actually reading this and have a good idea on how a MARA loan works, please, for the love of god please explain it to me in the comments!!! Okay bye :3

No comments: